Sunday, October 11, 2009

The Wasted 6 Months, Known as the St. Louis Cardinals season

I know I'm not the only one, sorely disappointed with the St. Louis Cardinals sweep at the hands of the Dodgers in the Divisional series. I'm just trying to figure out where they went wrong... The anemic offense over the last month was the telltale problem. Starting with our All-Star M.V.P. first baseman. Albert Pujols didn't hit a homer for over a month and just seemed to lack his fizzle. Sure he had a good average and some R.B.I.'s, but he was never the same after the All-Star Game.
Or in my eyes after the arrival of Matt Holliday. I think he got too relaxed. Look at the first three months when Rick Ankiel, Chris Duncan and everyone else was in a slump, along with Ryan Ludwick being injured, when he was carrying the team they had some fire. I think that team they fielded in mid-June, with Ryan Ludwick coming around, would have beat the Dodgers and had that underdog fighting spirit.
But just some of Pujols late-season playing and gaffes(Think of the last game in Colorado where he was full running on a one-out pop fly and got doubled off. Never mind the second baseman dropped the ball...). If I was Tony LaRussa, I would have benched him at some point even in the playoffs. Hey, remember Scott Rolen? He might have gotten pissy about it, but you know what? He started hitting better after that. Pujols needed something to light his fire. Either that or bat him lead-off, which would give him more at-bats and if you want to walk him, an early easy base runner to help the offense get going.

Where do the Cards go for next year? They have quite a few free agents, Holliday, Mark DeRosa, Rick Ankiel,
John Smoltz, Joel Piniero and Troy Glaus, among others. And the big worry in a few years, when Pujols and Chris Carpenter are up for free agency. Hopefully, they at least get DeRosa back. When he was healthly he was a solid veteran player. And if the price is right even with his gaffe, Holliday is a potential monster. But that play still eats me...
Not to mention the manager might not return. And I think the front office already pissed off the pitching coach.
They've got some solid guys and role players back in Skip Schumaker, Julio Lugo and Brendan Ryan, plus the potential in Colby Rasmus, Blake Hawksworth and Mitchell Boggs.Plus you're one-two starting punch of Carpenter and Adam Wainwright.
As for needs? A lead-off hitter, someone who can get on base, with some good speed and score. I think Julio Lugo, could be this guy if he was a little more consistent. I don't think Skip Schumaker is bad, but they need someone who can spark this offense. But unless Holliday doesn't come back, there really isn't a spot for anyone else in the line up, unless they'll be platooned, which I've never been a fan of. Potentially I think if Colby Rasmus can fine-tune his skills and base running, he could be a candidate. Now if him and Ryan would just fix their hat bills...
I'm not sure about a closer. I think Ryan Franklin just picked the worst time to falter in the season. And while he gave up everything else in game two of the series with the Dodgers, his left-fielder blew it. Wait til next season to see...Maybe some minor tweaking to the rest of pen.
I think the starters should be pretty good. Hopefully Lohse will pick up some of his better form next year
The bench actually needs some role players on it. Aside from whichever outfielder and infielder was being platooned, there wasn't much there. I swear anytime Khalil Greene was brought up it was an automatic out.
I guess there's always next year. And unlike the Cubs, the Cards will have an actual chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment