Monday, June 6, 2011

Top 10 Favorite Dylan Songs

I did my version of the 10 Greatest Dylan songs a few entries ago, so I figured I'd do my 10 Favorite Dylan Songs.

1. Positively 4th Street- The haunting organ driving the melody and vitriolic Dylan lyrics makes me like this song. Plus it's the ultimate put down song, who hasn't known someone (or to be fair been this person themselves) they'd like to tell words like these to?
" Do you take me for such a fool, to think I’d make contact, with the one who tries to hide what he don’t know to begin with?..." Priceless

2. When I Paint My Masterpiece- Well, no surprise this one's on here judging from the title of the blog... There's a whimsical quality and air to this tune presumably about the quirks of artistry and being on the road. Though I've always gotta change the lyrics to "...in the land of Pepsi Cola."

3. Like A Rolling Stone- Like it's sibling song at #1 on my list, it's part of "the same one-sided" argument," complete with the country sounding organ that adds so much to the texture of the song . One of the greatest rock songs ever and every time it comes on the radio, it gets cranked up.

4. You Ain't Goin' Nowhere- A complete 180 from the thin wild mercury sound of 1966 Dylan, this Americana tune was the part of the legendary Basement Tapes made with the Band. Simple lyrics to fit the rhyme, nothing radical, just a footprint for what direction the Band would go into and where Dylan would be the next few years.

5. Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You- Another simple love song, I read somebody call "a throwaway love song." I agree, but it's a very good one and not to mention he's backed by killer Nashville pros on the studio version.

6. Knockin' On Heaven's Door- Another greatest hit, and still in his country sounding period(Notice a bunch of them on this list?). Even greater when you see the context of it in Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid, with Slim Pickens heading to watch the sunset...

7. To Ramona- Some of Dylan's best poetry and and a love song to a girl that he fears will "turn into a meaningless ring," at the end. And this is probably higher too, because I love the Flying Burritos version of it as well...

8. Tweeter and the Monkey Man- You gotta love this song from his Wilbury days. There are obvious Springsteen song references and just the style of the story seems like a wink to the Boss. Not to mention the gender changing throughout of the main characters. Bob at some of his funniest...

9. Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues- Another Highway 61 Revisited era song(which if you can't tell is my other favorite Dylan period). I like the hazed out imagery and "Sweet Melinda, they call her the goddess of gloom," who couldn't love that? Well, by the end Dylan did and had to get back to New York City...

10. Forever Young- It's a jaunty feel good song that gives a timeless wish for Bob's children, that everyone should strive for. Never lose the desire to learn, be happy and do what you want with your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment